Tuesday, February 3, 2015

A City of Chaos and Calm


I've been in Egypt for about a week and a half, and it alternately feels completely surreal and exciting. As a group, the international students at the American University in Cairo have gone to the Old Cairo, Al Moez Street, Al Azhar Park and the Pyramids. I can see a common pattern in all the international students, and it is boldness. They are a group of people who want to adventure and it takes me a moment to realize that I'm among them. I am also bold! We've had the first classes and although they've just begun I am certain I'm going to learn a lot here, especially Arabic.  My biggest challenge will be overcoming my shyness to practice speaking.  The biggest change I've noticed is the mentality and general atmosphere on campus. Maybe it's the warmth of the sun, but everyone is very relaxed, and although students work hard, there is a general sense of calm. It's a very stark contrast to the style of driving and constant movement and speed of the city itself. Drivers, pedestrians, and animals are everywhere in the city, going every which way with seemingly little caution. It's both terrifying and exhilarating to participate in. Cairo is by far the most alive and vibrant city I could ever imagine.

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful pictures! Think of you often and hope all is meeting your expectations. Nice furry friend you were adopted by. They know how to understand all languages. Take care. Elaine

    ReplyDelete